You don’t have to spend a lot of money or go to the gym to get fit. Having an in home gym allows you to workout on your own time and with privacy. The next three weeks of blogs will be dedicated to creating your own home gym at different levels of cost. Below are my recommendations for creating an in-home gym if you are tight on money or space:
1. A set of light weights and heavy weights. Lifting weights is essential to increasing muscle mass and metabolism. I recommend choosing weights between 3-10 pounds to start with. As you get stronger, increase reps and then purchase heavier weights.
2. Exercise bands. Bands are perfect when recreating exercises from machines. Bands are cheap and perfect for people who have little space to spare for bulky workout equipment. For ideas on how to use exercise bands check out: http://bodydesignbyalissa.com/healthy-back-and-shoulders-pilates-workout.
3. Workout DVDs. Good quality cardio/pilates/weight training DVDs will provide proper instruction and the motivation necessary to see results! Below are my favorite workout DVDs:
- Pilates: Body Design by Alissa’s 10 Minute Pilates
- Yoga: Yoga Shakti, Shiva Rea
- Cardio Dance: Just Dance, Dance with Julianne
- Cardio Kickboxing: Turbo Jam
- Total Body Toning: Rip 60